Thursday, September 29, 2016

Warrior Dash: My thoughts!



We completed the Warrior Dash almost two weeks ago. And I thought I would compile my thoughts on it.  By far, it was the toughest obstacle course race we have ever done, and we were prepared for it!  We did our first one about 5 years ago, we did it just because.  That first race was tough because we had just started back at the gym, and we weren’t yet serious about “gym time”.  I skipped a lot of the obstacles, and feel like I barely made it through.  We learned that day, that we really weren’t in that great of shape.  It was kind of awakening of “holy cow, we aren’t 18 anymore.”  We were both also at the heaviest that we had been at, EVER!  This is the turning point of when we decided something needed to change.  So to create the motivation we made the decision to work towards a goal.  The goal to do a tougher obstacle course race would be motivation for two things: Get back to a healthier weight and get into better shape. 
The day has come and gone and the question is; was goal was achieved?  Here are my general thoughts on that:
Background:  The course was a 5k.  3.1 miles.  It has 12 obstacles spread through the course.  A rough idea of what the obstacles were like can be found here.  We underestimated the course a small bit.  We trained and prepared for the running and the obstacles.  But what we didn’t take into account was the fact that it would be through rugged mountain terrain.  It was not a flat course like the others we did.  Now if you have gone for a hike in our wonderful Rockies, you know what rugged terrain I am talking about.  

·         Thought #1: This was by far the toughest course we have ever done. The in the first 1/4 mile we passed people who were on the side puking,  and I had a small asthma issue from under estimating the rugged terrain.  I thought ““What the *&^% have we gotten into?” (This thought went through my head through the first mile). We sent the kids ahead, knowing I needed to pace myself differently.  Ok, I got this.

·         Thought #2:  First obstacle was high off the ground.  I thought great…….not only am I exerting myself through the mountains, but now I have to figure out how to not have an anxiety attack due to my fear of heights.  That will only make my asthma worse.  I can’t do this. WTF, have I gotten myself into. Jason, “Babe you got this!”  No, no I don’t have this. After the first 2 obstacles, and about a mile into the course.  Ok, this isn’t so bad I got this.  Let’s do this!  We are good. 
·          Thought #3: As we were waiting for our race time to approach we were watching others who started earlier to cross the finish line.  A lady about 70 (or older) crossed that finish line.  She was muddy and exhausted looking, but had a smile on her face.  It was obvious she did the race on her own, as her family was waiting with a towel at the finish line for her.  We guessed it was a bucket list thing.  But through the race, as I was having my “WTF” moments, I couldn’t stop thinking about her.  Then I started thinking about all the people around our age that thought we were crazy for doing this race, at 40 years old.  All of the people who think we are crazy for going to the gym 4-5 times a week.  And that was when I realized that we are all our own worst enemies.  We are masters of using our ages against ourselves.  We turn a certain age and think, oh this (insert body part) hurts, and I can’t do that anymore.  Or even say…….”Oh no, I am 40 now, I am too old to do that”.  We use our ages against ourselves, period. 

·         Thought #4- Just because we completed the goal doesn’t mean it’s the end. Now along with that, I realized that even though this was the toughest course we have done, I am in the best shape I have been in since I have been 18.  No, it’s not that same type of shape, but I am in the best shape I have been in since high school.  Yes, things hurt.  Years of sports is taking its toll on my body, I have an achy shoulder and arthritis in my knees and hips.  But it is what it is.  I don’t allow that pain from stopping me, because I have learned through this process that the more active I am, the less I hurt.  The less I weigh, the less I hurt.  The more consistent I am with work outs, the better I feel, I am less irritable, I sleep better.

·         Thought #5:  It’s worth it! It is so very much worth it!  So 5 months ago, when we decided to change a few things up, it was not only for getting serious about this race, but because we had to try something different.  Jason’s cholesterol test didn’t come back with the results we were hoping for.  His Dr. gave him 6 months to make some minor tweaks before he would be put on meds.  It was no longer…..eh you are fine.  It was “You are 40 now, your cholesterol levels went up despite the diet and exercise.  It might be time”.  Jason became determined to lower his cholesterol on his own.  More things got tweaked in both diet and exercise. Coincidentally he had his blood re-take 3 days after the race.  He got the results he worked so hard to achieve.  He brought his levels down SIGNIFICANTLY on his own, without meds, through strictly tweaking his diet and exercise.

·         Final thought:  IT IS WORTH IT for us.  I will forever say this. I do realize that not everyone shares our same views on diet and exercise.  I do realize some people are content with the western meds.  I realize that as we get older, our bodies really do start changing.  We both realize that eventually, because of hereditary things, he will likely end up on meds.  I realize that not everyone is capable of being where we are at physically.  But I also realize it’s about perception, determination and dedication.  At this point we are lucky enough to be able to still work out, and that is a blessing that we need to take advantage of.  At this point in our lives, the benefits far out weight the thought of letting our age make that determination.  Mind over matter, and as long as we are capable we will keep going.  I personally hope to cross the same race line when I am 70 years old, and I hope to have my husband with me.  We need to stay dedicated to being healthy. 
With that final thought, I leave you with the hysterically funny pictures of us during the race:  Enjoy.













No comments:

Post a Comment