Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Hatch Green Chili Recipe



I typically make two different types of Green Chili. This one is a traditional Hatch Green Chili recipe.  I usually use this one for whatever, burritos, just to eat as a stew, etc. The 2nd one I make is a White Green Chili.  I use frozen hatch green chilies that we get roasted and freeze every year, so I apologize in advance for not having canned amounts.

½ pound of diced pork
2 tablespoons of flour
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
1 tablespoon of olive oil
32 oz of Chicken broth (either boxed, or homemade.  I used both)
10oz of water
1 can of stewed tomatoes
Half of an onion diced
1-2 cloves of roasted garlic (diced)
10-12 green chili peppers diced (I use roasted)
*The green chilies are what gives this the spiciness, I personally use a combo of mild and medium green chilies. I also rinse and pull the seeds out of mine, as the seeds can give it more hotness.  If you like super spicy use hot green chilies and leave the seeds, if you don’t use mild.  If I had to translate this to cans of green chili it would probably be 4 or 5 5oz cans.
Garlic salt to taste
Onion power to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons of corn starch

This will all be cooked in the same pot.  Put the flour, salt and pepper in a baggies and then add the diced pork.  Mix all around until the pork is coated with the flour.  Heat the olive oil in the pot, once hot add the pork and brown it, you can also add the onions and garlic if you want them to have more of a cooked flavor.  (Stir pretty consistently so it doesn’t stick)  Add the broth, water, stewed tomatoes, and chilies, (onion and garlic if you haven’t done so yet) garlic salt and onion powder.  Mix together and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn down to a low heat. Cook 2-3 hours on low heat.  Mix the cornstarch with a little bit of water and add a cook about another 20 min to thicken it to the consistency you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment